Joe Basham specializes in construction law and is Board Certified® in Construction Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He represents owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, architects, and engineers, focusing on contract drafting and negotiation, dispute management and avoidance, and dispute resolution, including mediation, litigation, and arbitration.
Mr. Basham graduated from Texas A&M University, cum laude, in 1998, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Construction Science. He earned his J.D. from Texas Tech School of Law Order of the Coif, magna cum laude, in 2002.
Prior to joining Allensworth & Porter in 2002, Mr. Basham was a member of the Texas Tech Law Review and the Technology Editor from 2001-2002. Mr. Basham served the City of Rollingwood as an Alderman from 2012-2017 and was the President of the Rollingwood Community Economic Development Corporation. He is on the board of the Building Enclosure Council of Austin.
Licenses and Certifications
The Supreme Court of the United States of America
The Supreme Court of Texas
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Board Certified® in Construction Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Industry Involvement and Memberships
State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section
Austin Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Building Enclosure Council: Austin, Board Member
- Associated General Contractors – Austin Chapter, Legal Affairs Committee
Tau Sigma Delta – Honor Society in Architecture and Allied Arts
Sigma Lambda Chi – International Honor Society for Construction
Joe Basham was listed in the 2014 and 2015 editions of The Best Lawyers in America under Construction Law, and has been selected to Texas Super Lawyers Monthly Magazine the following years:
- Texas Super Lawyers 2013-2015
- Texas Rising Stars 2005-2013
J.D. magna cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law, 2002 (Order of the Coif; Technology Editor, Texas Tech Law Review)
B.S. cum laude, Construction Sciences, Texas A&M University, 1998
- Negotiated construction contract for high-rise apartments on Riverside Drive.
- Represented a West Texas County in a multi-party construction defect lawsuit.
- Negotiated architectural contract for high-rise condominiums in downtown Austin.
- Drafted architectural and construction contracts for capital improvement projects for a Central Texas county.
- Represented subcontractor on a payment and scheduling dispute at the US Supreme Court.
- Negotiated construction contract for prominent community bank.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contract for retail shopping center in San Antonio.
- Drafted construction contract for developer for a high-rise mixed-use project in the Central Business District of Austin.
- Drafted construction contract of a private non-profit urban park project in partnership with the City of Austin.
- Drafted construction manager agreement (AIA A133 – 2009) for owner’s new corporate headquarters.
- Drafted bidding and construction contracts for developer in connection with a new Public Improvement District (PID) in the City of Austin.
- Negotiated architectural agreement for high-rise office building in the Central Business District of Austin.
- Negotiated construction contract for luxury apartments in North Austin.
- Negotiated agreement for museum project in Saudi Arabia.
- Represented contractor in payment dispute with healthcare provider.
- Represented architect in dispute over parking garage.
- Negotiated air rights (crane) and soil tie-back agreement for property owners in downtown Austin.
- Drafted and negotiated architectural and construction agreement for finish out of office space in downtown Austin office tower.
- Represented contractor in differing site conditions claim by subcontractor.
- Represented developer in dispute over defects in construction of residential townhome project in Austin.
- Represented EPC contractor in payment dispute with Owner over power plant project in Central Texas.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contract for church and school project in Austin.
- Represented architect in soil-movement dispute over institutional project in College Station.
- Represented structural engineer in foundation movement dispute over hotel project in Austin.
- Represented a municipal retirement fund drafting and negotiating the construction contract for corporate relocation project.
- Represented subcontractor in payment dispute over institutional project in San Marcos.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contracts for builder of high-end custom homes.
- Represented hospital in foundation movement dispute in North Texas.
- Represented architect in building envelope dispute over hospital in Central Texas.